Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Here and About -- Bits and Pieces

With the nation focused on drought, superstorms and a national election, genealogy has really taken the back seat to any news casts. But, there are always things going on. I don't see some of these topics developing into full blog posts, so every once in while, I write a list of things that catch my attention but  not lengthy;

Several bloggers posted notes about a lawsuit filed by a shareholder against the Board of Directors of Ancestry.com. Leland Meitzler in his GenealogyBlog, linked to a story from Empowered News. Could this lawsuit stop the sale of Ancestry.com to the British-based company Permira Funds? Here is the information on the lawsuit from the
COURT OF CHANCERY
NEW CASTLE COUNTY COURTHOUSE
500 N. KING STREET
WILMINGTON DE 19801 :

Case ID: 7983 - JOHN HECK V GLOBAL GENERATIONS MERGER SUB INC ET A Filing Date: Thursday , October 25th, 2012 Type: 2A - CIVIL ACTIONS Status: ACTIVE - ACTIVE 
The Defendant is GLOBAL GENERATIONS MERGER SUB INC 

That's about all the information there is on this case. Except for the name of the attorney there is nothing more on the docket.

The real news from the election is not the presidency, but that Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Arizona won re-election for a sixth term. This probably shows that nothing has really changed in the past four years politically speaking and doesn't bode well for change in the future.

Despite dire predictions, Apple's iPad-mini sold over 3 million units in the first weekend of its introduction. I finally got to an Apple Store and had a look. I like the iPad-mini, it is really light and just the right size. But would I buy one? Not likely, since we have two iPads, an iPhone and an iPod touch already. I did like the new Macbook Pros and if I need a new computer, I would buy one in a heart beat. I didn't see much of an advantage to the iPad 4. The screen is fabulous, but I don't mind what I have now. I am now really interested in looking at Google's Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.

I'm on my way tomorrow to the Family History Expo in the Gwinnett Center, 6400 Sugarloaf Parkway
Duluth, Georgia. Hope to see some of you there at the Expo. Be sure and come up and talk to me before and after classes. We are looking forward to having Family History Expos in Mesa, Arizona in January.

At the Mesa FamilySearch Library, we have quite a few Webcasts online now. You might want to watch some of them.

Well, that's all for this morning. See you in Atlanta or Duluth or whereever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment