Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

RootsTech 2016 Ambassadors


RootsTech 2016 will be bigger and better than ever. Registration is now open. Since its inception, RootsTech has invited bloggers to participate and write about the Conference. For the past two years, these Bloggers have been called "Ambassadors" and those organizing the Conference from FamilySearch have invited bloggers who are not a part of the "traditional" genealogical community. But at the core are a number of well-known genealogical bloggers. As you can see from my badge, I will once again be at RootsTech and be blogging away.

I recently got an updated list of the bloggers who have been invited and I was interested to see what perspective some of them would give to the Conference. There are lots of names I recognize, but many I do not. I am hoping to have the opportunity to meet more of the bloggers during the Conference. Of course, the reality of RootsTech is that there are so many people and events and vendors and classes and more people, that I usually have little time for socializing after I spend my time writing.

I was happy to see Sharn White of FamilyHistory4u and Jill Ball of GeniAus and  from Australia on the list. I think they are both attending the Conference. I have ancestral ties to Australia and I am presently researching my two Australian lines, beginning in England. There are 74 Bloggers on the list but I only recognize the names of about twenty, so either I have completely lost touch with the genealogical community or there are a lot of eclectic names on the list. This is quite a change from the first RootsTech Conference where we were a very small group.

The Bloggers have access to the Media Hub on the Exhibit Floor. They also have an opportunity to interview various people in a glass interview booth.

If you are attending RootsTech 2016, be sure and drop by the Media Hub and say hello. I look forward to see all of those who attend. If you are a blogger, please introduce yourself, if we haven't met before.

Click here to go to the RootsTech 2016 page.

7 comments:

  1. Is there an internet list of the 2016 Ambassadors? The RootsTech website (which appears not to have been updated recently) seems still to be inviting folks to volunteer for this. No list is there as to who is already an Ambassador.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did see a list for the 2015 Conference. I have a list but it is not published. I have no idea what they are doing with the website.

      Delete
  2. I'm one of the ones on the list. We met briefly at the IAJGS bloggers' lunch in SLC in 2014. Hope to bump into you at RootsTech as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look forward to seeing you again too, James. I think Familysearch will eventually add a tab to tbe Rootstech site which has Ambassador photos and bios. Not sure when this will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James,

    As an enthusiastic promoter of the genealogical blogger community (I wear my blogger beads at conferences), I'm looking forward to RootsTech 2016 and blogging about it. Although my Innovator Summit proposal was not accepted, I'll still be coming to partake in everything and hope to meet up with you again, as well as many of the other speakers and Ambassadors I know including Lara, and some of the Australians who are crossing the pond like Jill and Helen and Alona.

    By the way, I don't think registration is open until September 15.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops, James. Sorry for that last comment. I thought this was a post about RootsTech 2017.

    I wasn't at RootsTech 2016, but I will be there this year and I'm hoping to run into you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably write a similar article for this next year's RootsTech. I hope to see you there. Thanks for the nice comments.

      Delete