The L3C is designed to make it easier for socially oriented businesses to attract investments from foundations and additional money from private investors.Unlike the traditional LLC, the L3C’s articles of organization are required by law to mirror the federal tax standards for program-related investing.  A program-related investment (PRI) is one way in which foundations can satisfy their obligation under the Tax Reform Act of 1969 to distribute at least 5% of their assets every year for charitable purposes. While foundations usually meet this requirement through grants, investments in L3Cs and charities that qualify as PRIs can also fulfill the requirement while allowing the foundations to receive a return.In short, The Family History Guide is now actively seeking sponsorships. Quoting from a recent notice sent to me,
This is your special invitation … to help thousands of people around the world find and connect with their family roots, and have your logo and website link placed on tens of thousands of desktops, tablets and other devices in over 140 countries!
Let me introduce myself - I'm Bob Ives, COO and co-founder of The Family History Guide, L3C. We are a low-profit company dedicated to one mission: to greatly increase the number of people actively involved in family history worldwide, and to make everyone’s family history journey easier, more efficient, and more rewarding. Family history involvement builds a stronger sense of identity, culture, and history, and we are proud to be at the forefront of building this involvement worldwide. We have no paid employees and are staffed with volunteers who share our vision. We accomplish our mission by providing a free website, The Family History Guide
with a unique just-in-time learning model that is revolutionizing how people find and connect to their roots.To explain how this will work, here is a listed description of the process, again from the notice sent to me.
In keeping with our mission statement, we have no advertising on our website. Still, we have ongoing business expenses that must be met. To address these needs, we are introducing our Sponsorship Campaign, which enables individuals, companies and organizations to donate to this important cause, as well as benefit from PRI's (Program-Related Investments) and tax incentives such as advertising deductions.
The Family History Guide is
- A free website visited by people in over 140 countries.
- On the main Family Search portal page in over 4,800 Family History Centers and libraries, on over 10,000 desktops and thousands more personal computers worldwide.
- A semi-finalist in the RootsTech 2016 Innovator Showdown.
- Used for training family history consultants at the BYU Family History Library, the Riverton, Utah Family History Library, and many other libraries across the U.S.
- A partner with Family Search, the largest free family history company in the world, and part of the Family Search App Gallery.
- Part of an L3C company that qualifies to receive PRI's from foundations and other organizations.
- A website where your logo may qualify as an advertising expenditure for your organization, company, or foundation.
- A company of all volunteers who do not receive compensation for their time or expenses.
How you can get involved and help this worldwide effort
You or your organization can help us reach our goal of continuing to provide a free website that enables more people, worldwide, to succeed in family history. Your donation will receive special recognition on the The Family History Guide website: your logo will be prominently displayed and directly linked back to you, plus other benefits depending upon your participation level.
Become an individual donor, partner or sponsor with The Family History Guide today!