Some people eat, sleep and chew gum, I do genealogy and write...

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Voice Recognition with hearing aids


I have worn hearing aids off and on for years, usually more off than on. I recently got a pair that connects to a Bluetooth receiver and microphone. To my surprise, the Bluetooth microphone connects to my iMac computer and I can use the Dragon Dictate program to do voice recognition. Every once in a while, I write an update on the use of voice-recognition software for genealogical purposes. Because of this new development, I thought it was a good time to do an update. So, you are reading a post dictated by the use of hearing aids.

Voice recognition software works very well if you are accustomed to dictating. In my early years as an attorney, I did a lot of dictation. That generally stopped when I got access to a computer. Because of the way I write, it is much easier to type in some cases rather than dictate. In addition, even with the updated voice recognition programs available, you have to constantly reread everything that you dictate because the accuracy is still not perfect. This is doubly true for me because I edit as I type.

Voice recognition software is indispensable for people who have limited keyboarding ability or skills. People are becoming more accustomed to using voice recognition because of the smartphone apps such as Siri. But genealogical research involves a fairly large number of names and the voice recognition software does not do a good job of distinguishing between similarly sounding names. But for pure text writing tasks such as this post, the software is adequate.

If you wish to experiment with voice recognition software, I suggest using the programs that are integrated into the Apple OSX and the Microsoft Windows operating systems. You can find instructions for using both systems online.


2 comments:

  1. can you elaborate a bit on your set-up. what hearing aids (i'm needing some), BT reciver/microphone and such. I currently us Dragon on a PC which works well with the right microphone. one difficulty is starting/stopping remote control while dictateing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Bernafon hearing aids from Costco. They are working better than any I had previously. I agree with your observations on Dragon. I found that most hearing aids sold today have a Bluetooth option.

      Delete